Friday, May 20, 2011

Almost there …


So I had my last class today! I only have 2 finals this semester, and they are both on Monday, so I am so close to being done. This was a pretty awesome semester! I loved all of my classes. I took Developmental Psychology, Statistics, Death and Dying, Basic Consumer Nutrition and Physiology.

All of my classes were informative, interesting, and very fun. My most challenging classes were physiology and psychology.

Physiology was a LOT of hard work, lots of hours sitting hunched in front of my textbook, sitting in lab poking and prodding mice and playing with chemicals. One point was actually really funny, our first lab of the semester we were working with some chemicals and while we were cleaning up I started dumping the chemicals together so I would only have to dump one container instead of taking five different containers to dump and clean. Now I am sure all of you realize how incredibly stupid this action was, I mean WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND starts dumping chemicals together when they do not know what will happen. Luckily nothing exploded but the chemicals started to form some funky looking substance that started to flake and fizz. I quickly dumped that and got out of there before anyone could see what I had done, don't worry I cleaned up after myself, I just didn't want anyone to comment on my stupidity. It was pretty funny later in the day, and a funny story to tell people! We took blood pressures and heart rates; we were all repeatedly hooked up to wires and told to do jumping jacks while members of our lab group checked all kinds of things on the computer. It was a FUN class, and sometimes AWKWARD. One class we walked into lab, sat down, and were promptly handed plastic collecting containers. We looked at our teacher with questioning eyes. She had a funny little grin on her face like she was trying not to laugh, and then instructed us all to go to the bathroom down the hall, fill the cups, and bring them back to class. We had to then drink different substances (I had to drink ice cold salt water which I almost vomited up, it was so disgusting) and repeat the process every 45 minutes for the next 2 ½ hours. It was so awkward to wait in line to go to the bathroom with our little cups, and then walk back down the hall, in front of other students that were not taking this class and see the disgusted look on their face as they saw us walk out of the bathroom each with a cup of urine. We then tested the pH, osmolarity, and recorded the volume of our urine… needless to say I did not let my skin touch the lab tables again the rest of the semester!

Psychology was an interesting class, lots of useful information. My difficulty with this class was that my teacher HATES MORMONS. She went to the University of Utah, and lived in Utah for most of her adult life. She thinks she knows everything about Mormons. I walked into class one morning where she was talking to some of the students who were also there early about how Mormons are not Christians and that they are polytheistic. I sat down and raised my hand. I politely told her that I was a Mormon and that we are actually Christians and how we only believe in one God and therefore are monotheistic. She promptly told me I was mistaken and continued to bash the church. I tried so hard to tell her what we really believe but all she did was tell me I was wrong. I finally stopped after about 15 minutes because she obviously was not going to listen. I tried the rest of the semester to be a good example and give my input as often as I could. I tried not to be annoying or give her any other reason to think that Mormons are Satan worshiping lunatics, which you know is the first thing you think of when you see me, NO, well at least I hope not. It was a very long frustrating semester. I did learn a lot from the class though, and got some questions from classmates about my beliefs, which was nice because they were willing to listen and didn't tell me that I was wrong.

Now you might be wondering what this Death & Dying Class was. It was a very interesting class. We looked at different cultures and examined their death rituals and beliefs of the afterlife. It was not morbid or creepy, like I thought it might be when I signed up for the class, which is recommended for nurses to take.
 
Well I'm excited for summer, and a break from school!! I hope the weather is nice and your end of school is near!!

No comments:

Post a Comment